Wise Fool New Mexico (WFNM) is a nationally recognized social circus organization. It was established in 2000 by a collective of queer women exploring puppetry and circus arts as a vehicle to promote social justice and empower people in our communities. Wise Fool has been a pioneer of social circus and founded to uplift messages and actions. Over the years, Wise Fool has reached thousands of youth, adults, and families with circus classes and camps, creating more than 30 original productions such as Circus Luminous, CircAspire, Ignite, BUST!, ReUnite, and countless youth circus shows.
Wise Fool New Mexico's new production, titled BEYOND THE BINARY, will explore gender issues beyond the confines of the gender binary. While expanding the present-day gender discussion, the performance will portray the richness of gender expansive culture. Aligning with Social Circus values, its narrative will be thought-provoking, at times provocative, thus aiming to raise awareness and transform the binary mindset.
BEYOND THE BINARY will be an awe-inspiring performance filled with acts by astounding acrobats, clowns, and dancers who perform breathtaking high-flying maneuvers. Impressive puppets and costumes will support the shows, entertaining the audience and demonstrating our passion for social justice.
Proposals must be submitted by November 10, 2023 at 5:00pm MTN to Alishiya (email@example.com)
Duties of the Beyond the Binary Director
This list can be shared or split in any number of ways between director and assistant director, director and stage manager, production and visual director, co-directors and more - as determined by the Show Director and Wise Fool Directorial Team.
- Consultations with Wise Fool (WF) Executive Directors in the four months leading up to the show’s presentation
- Works closely with the WF Productions Director
- Creation of concept, script, and flow of production
- Designing artist experience from audition process thru performances
- Working with WF staff to create and adhere to Budget
- Hiring and Contracting Performers, Composer, Musicians and Visual Artists
- Create the contracts, WF does the actual hiring/contracting
- Negotiation of pay of contractors
- Planning a Cross Cultural Dialogue for all cast of show prior to start of rehearsals
- Upholding a culture of respect and community support among cast and crew
- Disseminating all pertinent information to Artists/potential artists throughout the process
- Scheduling auditions, rehearsals and tech times at Wise Fool and venue of choice
- Overseeing all rehearsals, technical rehearsals, load in etc
- Working with staff of Wise Fool on promotional materials, interviews etc
- Facilitating post production evaluation by performers/artists/staff and compiling info
- Working with Staff to Hire videographer and photographer
- Facilitating Video production post show. Ensure there is a promo video and video of the show available to Wise Fool after the performances.
Expected Deliverables and Timeline
Wise Fool expects the Show Director to produce a professional show within the provided timeline, that is based on the defined theme of Beyond the Binary. Typically there will be 4 performances over the course of three days, and each shall be no more than 2.5 hours in length including an intermission.
The performance will take place in May 2024.
With the support of the show director, the larger performance will be tailored for community performances throughout July - October 2024.
It is Wise Fool’s mission to ignite imagination, build community and promote social justice through performances and hands-on experiences in the arts of circus, puppetry and theater. Each year, Wise Fool provides over 2,000 New Mexicans with hands-on programs and performs for more than 10,000 people across the state and the US.
To submit a proposal, please include the following:
- Work samples, including performances and community events.
- Proposal of the show you would like to create including outcomes and what impact on the audience the show would have
- A brief narrative describing the proposer’s relevant experience and the organizations through which the experience was gained. Please include your history of social justice work and the history of cultural environments you have worked in.
- Preliminary budget of any expected fees or needs; housing, flight, travel, per diem and other expenses or needs
Proposals should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 10, 2023.
Compensation and Contract Award
Fees should be all-inclusive and structured as a lump sum to be negotiated upon a split of duties and an overview of the overall budget. This project is grant funded with an opportunity to raise more. The successful proposer shall invoice and be paid on a scheduled timeline, in accordance with negotiated contract terms.
Questions & Submission of Proposals
All questions concerning this RFP must be made in writing by e-mailing Alishiya Kapoor, Productions and Administration Director, at email@example.com. Proposals shall be submitted to the same individual. Proposals must be submitted by November 10, 2023 at 5pm Mtn.
Statement of Non-Commitment
Issuance of this RFP does not commit Wise Fool to award a contract or to pay any costs incurred in the preparation of proposals in response to this RFP. Wise Fool New Mexico does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations.